Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Opinions

Contrary to popular belief, we science fiction writers don’t predict the future -- we try to prevent undesirable futures.

-- Sir Arthur C. Clarke 

When I spent two weeks working in a Republican Party fundraising call center the use of what our boss called the "effenheimer" was grounds for termination from employment and we had to exercise caution in the language we used in general.  One day I tacked up in my cubicle the following verse:

Yea though I travel in the Valley of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I'm the kind of person whose character and conduct may not be discussed in the call center.
Of course after two weeks of listening to a bunch of "family farmers" and elderly whine on and on about how they're entitled to a piece of the taxpayers money I was ready to start dropping some F-bombs myself.

 


No comments: