Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Meanwhile...On The Left Coast

The Writer's Guild of America may go on strike on November 1st. This would have zero impact on me as I plan on producing the film based on the screenplay that I'm presently writing. But union goonery does have an adverse impact on other people.

For example:

About 10 years ago, AFTRA contacted me and said that if I did not pay more than $700 immediately to join the union, they would stop me from doing an acting job I'd already been hired for--and which paid only about $100. When I refused to pay, AFTRA forced the employer to fire me.

Mr Pisaturo, the victim of this appalling and unjust act goes on to say:

As philosopher Ayn Rand wrote of the mentality of those who try to get their way by force, "An Attila never thinks of creating, only of taking over." The Hollywood unions are nothing more than legalized extortion rings--that try to take over the creative production of others. Union persecution of non-union actors and writers does not stop when a strike begins. When the unions go on strike, they don't merely refuse to work; they use the threat of force to prevent others from working.

Let's just say that I'm going to avoid dealing with unions as much as possible.
_

No comments: