Friday, December 09, 2005

Someone Else's Thought For The Day

Dr. John Ray has something to say about some self-styled philosophers:

And for me any philosophy that fails to give an account of mind, ethics, cause and self is quite simply failed philosophy. And a philosophy that denies that any of those things are real is therefore fit only to be ignored. As it happens, however, there are lots of failed philosophers about and they have somehow conned the taxpayers into paying them a lot of money. They call themselves "postmoderninsts" and, as far as one can make any sense at all of what they say, their essential credo seems to be "nothing is real". When I come across such garbage I tend to be overcome by the wish that I could hit the so-called philosophers over the head with a baseball bat and then say to them: "Don't worry. Nothing is real so I didn't really hit you over the head with a baseball bat. Just carry on as before while I get ready to hit you again". I think reality would be rapidly rediscovered under those circumstances.

As a former U.S. Army combat rifleman I personally prefer the butt-stroke to the head for that sort of thing.
_

2 comments:

Leslie Bates said...

And then there is the really big fish as applied by John Cleese in the fish slapping dance sketch.

Leslie Bates said...

And of course the 16 ton weight.