Thursday, May 26, 2005

Three-Year Old News

CANADIAN WARSHIP SEIZES TANKER IN... WAIT... CANADA HAS A WARSHIP?

Arabian Sea (SatireWire.com) — Canadian television reported Friday that a Canadian warship in the Arabian Sea had seized a tanker suspected of smuggling oil from Iraq, leading many to suspect that the report was a hoax.

"You're kidding, right? Canada has a warship?" asked U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. "Like for war?

"Does Canada know?" he added.

Seriously, can they even afford to have a warship with all their welfare spending?

According to Canadian defense officials, the Vancouver is one of four frigates deployed in the region to assist in the U.S.-led Afghanistan conflict. The tanker was stopped, officials said, because its cargo of crude oil violated United Nations sanctions, which prohibit Iraq from selling oil unless in exchange for food and medicine.

The U.N. said the incident is already under investigation, and promised swift action against those found responsible for giving the Canadians guns. Initial findings indicate that the Vancouver crew may have been watching too many American television shows.

Too bad they aren't updating the SatireWire site anymore.
_

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing no one called us on our bluff. We gots guns but no bullets :)

So you got yourself an honest to goodness blog now Les? How long has this been going on? Gee, almost 2 years looks like. Guess I shoulda found it sooner but I dropped out of the usual place we'd cross paths (TML) about that long ago.

So how did I stumble in here? Well tonight I see a new citizen on CotI (my regular web haunt). "The Other Les". What? Who is this pretender? And lo it is you. I thought you had an ID there before but now I'm just not sure.

Anywho, coolness on the blog, must find time to troll the archives.

Leslie Bates said...

Part of has to do with the fact that I now prefer to use Firefox as my browser and that I can't find the password I that used when I go on COTI with Internet Exploder. Thus the new nic on COTI.