Monday, April 25, 2005

An Addition, A Subtraction

LASunsett had something interresting to say about the situation in Iran:

Iran is struggling to come to a boil. This summer could prove to be a pivotal moment in the underground struggle to oust the mullahs.

When the Shah was ousted it simmered like this for a while, before coming into a full roiling boil. There is a whole generation of Iranians that do not remember the Shah. They only know the mullah's form of tyranny. Older adults have had a chance to see that they traded one form of tyranny for a worse one.

Despite his despotic characteristics, the Shah was able to westernize a major Islamic country. There are many today that long for that re-westernization, without the Shah, under a freely elected government. The vote in Iraq was highly instrumental, kind of like lighting the pilot light.

So I've added his blog to the roll of blogs.

The Baby Seal Seal Club has apparently been hacked and is no longer a source of insightful commentary. I've removed the link. (Dude, if you're still blogging elsewhere, let me know. Okay?)
_

4 comments:

LA Sunset said...

Why thank you, maam. And I just added you to mine.

LA Sunset said...

Hey Les, a friend of yours left a comment on my blog that left me with the impression I owe you an apology. With your name being Leslie, like an idiot I assumed you were female and I now know that is not the case.

But the good news is, I still like your blog and I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance with Geico.

Seriously, I am sorry. Sir.

Leslie Bates said...

I must confess (no comfy chairs, please) That I sometimes have a little fun at the expense of those phone me with the expectation of speaking to a Miss or Mrs. Bates.

Not nice of me at all.

LA Sunset said...

Shame on you. You should repent in sackcloth and ashes ;)