Monday, August 25, 2014

An Old Thought

Back in November of 2008 I said this online:

Of course Barack Obama will have a problem with selfishness.

And it's not simply an issue of tax policy. Before one can say, "this is wrong, I won't do it", one has to say "I".

Conscience is the expression of the ego in the moral realm. To make a moral judgment and to act on it are basically selfish acts. It is the self that sees through its own eyes and acts on its own knowledge of right and wrong.  You could not be selfish if you cannot live with yourself.

Rational Selfishness as defined and advocated by Ayn Rand was limited to acts which benefited one's self but caused no harm or inflicted a cost on another person.

The narcissist, especially in the political realm, is not concerned with the injuries and burdens inflicted on other people. In fact, the more destructive the consequences of obedience to those who obey the narcissist, the better. Human sacrifice with beating hearts cut out and victims flayed alive, that's great. Millions worked to death in slave labor camps in Siberia, as far as the narcissist is concerned that's better.

In order for me to say, "I, Leslie Bates, do solemnly swear to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America..." I have to say "I". That was my ego speaking when I took the oath of enlistment.

No comments: